Ghost - Living from the Heart(land)!


I've never had a dog before. I have always loved animals, and I've always wanted a dog, but It's been something that I've always seen as a luxury for those who have the time and space and stability to be able to properly take on the care of a dog. I've never been in a position where I felt like I could take a dog on and give them the best possible life, and most of the time I wasn't allowed to have one anyway when I was moving from apartment to apartment over the years most of which didn't allow for any animals, even fish were a no no.

Since the opportunity has opened up for Kim and Gian to do Earth Haven abroad where they can have a greater impact, it looked like we were going to have to try to find a dog soon, since Ghost would be going with them, as he was Kim's dog. Since we are stewards of one hectare of the earth now, we practically need a dog, for security and practical farm support. He chased a cow off the property who was trying to snack on our veggie garden the other day. He's been trying it out here and there when the river gate or front gate is accidentally left open and random cows get in. He's been trying at it, and maybe learning from watching me doing it, and it was so heart-melting to witness this breakthrough moment, lol. He had a big look of self satisfaction, it was sooo cute.

It seemed like over the last week Ghost has been showing us that he's actually really happy here. He's been going off on his own exploring the property, sniffing things, having a playful hop here and there, (so cute, like a peppy little goat, he's surprisingly spry, or, he's working on it, lol), or digging in a crack between some bricks at some unknown target, or having deep deep sleeps slathered across the front porch. He's already inspired me on a few impromtu sprints and jogs while on the way down and back to the river, when I go to close the opening at the end of the day to keep random cows from walking in and plundering our veggie garden. Those beans must smell so sweet.. Yesterday he had Adrian play-chasing him around the driveway first thing in the morning. As soon as I put my shoes on, he's right there ready to go wherever I may be going, or not going. He comes and hangs out right next to me while I'm weeding in the garden, or standing on the porch having a relaxing moment watching the rain. He's really finding his groove here.

He seemed to be looking at me at times asking, do I really need to do all that stressful travel to another country - again- after the rough trip he already made from South Africa here to Panama? Look, I'm actually happy here, I could just live here and be your dog. But - I had no expectations, cause Ghost was 'Kim's dog' - so obviously, it would have to make sense for both Ghost and Kim too, it would have to be what they both wanted as well.

Well, turns out that while Kim was away, she also felt this shift in her, where she saw her time with Ghost was done, that they had supported each other up to this point, but there is another journey opening up for Ghost, and for her, now - for Ghost a 'journey' of settling down, becoming an integral part of a piece of the earth and shepherding it with us, and caring for us as we care for him. And for Kim, a more 'nomadic' adventure ahead - amazing for her and for us and all the potential and creation that that path will unfold - but not so great for a 5 year old husky dog who could really thrive with the consistency, stability, space and purpose.

I had no idea the dog we would find who would be 'our dog', and my first dog personally, would be the dog that came in right under my nose and has been here all along. But it just makes sense - it was what everyone wanted. In each of our hearts, as what makes sense for us all, individually, uniquely, at this time and context in our lives.

So, Ghost - you are my first dog!! I am Honored to have you and I will cherish and honor you for as long as our lives our intertwined. Already I can see the changes in you and how you have found a purpose and a place here, how you have been showing us that you've decided to walk with us and open a new chapter in all our lives from which we will all learn and grow! Thank you for being Here and taking on the Heartland as your purpose and protection. We are going to have so much fun!!! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts